38 replies to this topic

#21 wanna b

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:31 PM

Hi Rainbmo, 

well how did your medical go? What happens next?

I still haven't had my date for my medical,its been 26 weeks now since my assessment. Should i be concerned?

Did you receive any confirmation about background and security checks, or did you just get your medical date?

Wanna b

#22 rainbm0

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:34 PM

I think everything went ok.

Had to see a doc as well as the nurses for a knee examination but the doc said all was well so just awaiting drug test results.

I have got physical on 26th Jan.

@wanna b, Ive replied to your pm

#23 MrsQ

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:34 PM

Hi could do with a little help/support here. Ive passed A/C and Fitness, only fly in the ointment is eye sight.

I have 6/5 vision in right eye (near perfect) but poor vision in left eye (e.g can see shapes, colour and peripheral vision) which means i cant read even first line on eye chart.

I was told there's an Officer in Thames with only one eye - anyone know if thats true, or any other officers with limited sight.

Dont get me wrong I drive on a normal driving licence, but it depends how you interperate the Eyesight requirements form.

#24 Storm

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:42 PM

I know how your feeling MRSQ

I was wondering how strict they are with the eye tests. I had terrible eyesight (point me in the direction of the eye chart but don't ask me to read it!) I had laser eye surgery as I knew I wouldn't stand a chance with out it. I can now just about read the 20/20 line and I mean just !

Any other situation I would be overjoyed by the result from a -925 to a +1 but its whether they will take my "just read it" or they expect perfect 20/20 vision.

I have to pass the assesment yet so I'll worry about it when I come to it, but I know you are further down the recruitment process to me so I'd be interested to what they say.

#25 aikidoman

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:18 PM

HI THERE ITS MY FIST TIME ON THIS FORUM AND I READ YOUR CONCERNS ABOUT YOUR ACL RUPTURE PROBLEM.I TOO HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND HAD AN OPERATION IN 2000,TO WHICH I HAVE NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.I RECENTLY TOOK MY PHYSICAL AND PASSED THAT BUT AM WORRIED ABOUT WHAT THEY WILL SAY ABOUT MY KNEE.I WOULD BE MOST GRATEFUL IF YOU COULD GIVE ME ANY ADVICE ON THIS MATTER.REGARDS. PS I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO HEAR FROM OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THEIR KNEES WHO HAVE STILL BEEN ACCEPTED.                               aikidoman2007-08-22 21:22:37

#26 BeccaB

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:37 AM

Well I passed my fitness test today and have my medical on Fri, my only concern is that I had an ankle op in 2003 and have been fine for the past year having had a steroid injection this time last year. Anyone know if this would be a problem or if it's just down to what they think on the day?
Also I was told that even though I get my medical the results may not come back for 6 weeks or so, so I'll get on the course in January but then if I fail my medical I get kicked off! Do you think they know that we are actually giving up jobs to join the police so if I get kicked out after then I'll be back to square 1.

Becca

#27 lcol98

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:27 PM

Hi Becca,

Well done on passing the Fitness.  Hope all goes ok with the medical.  How did you find the fitness?  How long are you jogging for?  Someone mentioned its about 3.5mins of running, is it easy then?  What else did you have to do?  Is it NWP you are going for?

#28 eafster

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:33 PM

Does anyone know what happens next.  If you pass your selection tests fitness, medical et al when are the next tests going to happen - throughout probation or just during initial training?  I have read posts on here that talk about a final medical/fitness test after the standard ones - is there more than one set to pass..?

#29 Ey-07/08

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:58 PM

It all depends on what force you are applying for, in essex you have 2 more bleep test through out your intial training and p.e during the training.
and you do have to pass this or they can get rid of you.

#30 Mackers

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:23 PM

I just wondered if anyone out there who's done the fitness test can offer some advice?
I don't have access to gym equipment so wondered if you can recommend exercises to help with the push/pull. Other than press-ups and tricep dips I'm not sure what else I can do. My 10mth old baby nephew is probably sick of me throwing him up in the air everytime I see him or dangling him upside down over my head, I'm just trying to improvise! Ha, oh don't worry he's fine...

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car"

#31 M&MBM

Author of Death in Spigg's Wood

• Moderators
  • 67514 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:49 PM

I haven't done the fitness test, nor do I know what it entails, but if you want to exercise the oposing muscle groups which you are exercising with the press ups and dips, the bent over row is a good one. There are variations on this one. Personally I use a weigh training bench for support, one knee on and one hand on, to take the stress off the back. You could improvise at home with a couple of dining chairs and a water filled bottle... but that's not very heavy. This site has a picture of the way I do it. Seems like a useful site, so I've saved it under favourites.   
MOP, Joker & reformed character. Honest. Posted ImageI moderate with purple prose

#32 Mackers

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply, that website's great. Idiot proof pictures too so I'll give some of them a go. With regards to home made dumbells I've got a leg of lamb and a box of wine! I'll figure out something more suitable.

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car"

#33 M&MBM

• Moderators
  • 67514 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:39 PM

The trouble with a leg of lamb and box of wine is they will get lighter... and you're supposed to increase the resistance.

You can do a lot with a pair of dumbbells, but perhaps their best use is to trip over to remind you to do the exercises. This is why mine are hidden. Wink

MOP, Joker & reformed character. Honest. Posted ImageI moderate with purple prose

#34 Misery Guts

Brian Award 2009

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Locationin the shadows

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:46 PM

I just wondered if anyone out there who's done the fitness test can offer some advice?
I don't have access to gym equipment so wondered if you can recommend exercises to help with the push/pull. Other than press-ups and tricep dips I'm not sure what else I can do. My 10mth old baby nephew is probably sick of me throwing him up in the air everytime I see him or dangling him upside down over my head, I'm just trying to improvise! Ha, oh don't worry he's fine...

I go for hilly walks most days with my 8 month old boy in his buggy, he's a big lad and them buggies are surprisingly weighty after a good hours walking....

"Nobody Tells Me Nothin!"

Posted Image

#35 M&MBM

• Moderators
  • 67514 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:55 PM

You know you've walked a lot when the buggy is lower by half an inch than when you bought it. Wink

#36 Mackers

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:45 PM

Ha, and the wheels become actual sized jammie dodgers!

#37 Misery Guts

Brian Award 2009

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Locationin the shadows

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:57 PM

You know you've walked a lot when the buggy is lower by half an inch than when you bought it. Wink

......or you're a bit shorter than you were on your last birthdayBig%20smile

........MiseryLOL

"Nobody Tells Me Nothin!"

Posted Image

#38 TVPTOV

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:58 PM

Hi guys, just found out i passed the Assessment centre for TVP. As you will all agree, wait lifted off shoulder is the biggest understatement in the world!! i'm so happy right now!! ha! Anyway, just got my med form signed by my doc and sent it back, how long could i expect to wait now for the next part? what happens now between sending this form off and actually starting training? i know there is a fitness test and medical but anything else that could stop me getting in now??

#39 deanurand

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:59 AM

I've just had a phone call to ask if i can attend my police medical, unfortunately i've fractured my toe (5th metatarsal) and so i've been told to wait until fully fit.  What will the medical entail that prevents me from attending now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users