3 replies to this topic

#1 Gafferjim

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:27 PM

Hi All.

I've previously had this information but can no longer find it. 
I'm aware that the law on  motorcycle helmets really came into being with the 1988 road traffic act. 
In the bits that I'm able to search on the internet, it goes on about the standards etc, but I can't find the part about these standards being applied retrospective or not.
An inspector that I know, did actually find me the relevant information a couple of years ago, but I can no longer find where I've put it. (Somewhere too safe obviously!)
Basically it said that the BS helmet standards that came into effect with the road traffic act 1988 were not applied retrospective to helmets already in use, only to new helmets sold afterwards. 
So a helmet that was originally made as a motorcycle helmet prior to the 1988 act, would still be legal to use.
I would be obliged if someone could point me in the right direction for this particular part of the legislation, thanks.

Jim

#2 999tommo

Forum Member

• Moderators
  • 5556 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:09 AM

Try looking at THIS LINK which I hope should be able to answer your question.  From reading the Schedule 2 at then end, which details the British Standards, I would suggest that as long as the helmet you are wearing complies with a standard in place at the time of its manufacture, then it would be legal to wear it.  Put it this way.  I can't find anything to say that it wasn't legal, although the only thing I did find was that if a helmet was fitted with a chin-cup, rather than an under-neck strap, then it must ALSO be fitted with an under-neck strap.  This part was added after numerous unnecessary deaths linked to chin-cups.

#3 Bouncer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2313 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:25 PM

Similarly, was it around this time that a U-shaped cut out at the back was required, due to a spate of broken necks from the base of the back of the helmet impacting on the neck like a rabbit punch? It did not stop some of my mates continuing to use the old ones "until they needed replacing".
Retired and loving almost every minute of it.

#4 999tommo

Forum Member

• Moderators
  • 5556 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:29 PM

Unfortunately many people use their brains until they need replacing.  It's a pity that the brain, once buggered, remains buggered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users