137 replies to this topic

#41 Scoop

Resident Lilliputian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:15 PM

View PostPenbwlch, on 03 October 2011 - 05:50 PM, said:

Good idea, Scoop. Just make sure he is available on Thursday and has taken his vitamin pills (or any others needed for stamina :blush: )

Thursday?
Oh bother... :(

#42 Penbwlch

King of Penbwlch

• Moderators
  • 67615 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

Quick, to the chemist.
I used to be conceited. Now I'm Perfect   Posted Image

Posted Image

#43 Scoop

Resident Lilliputian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:26 PM

Do you know what time on Thursday?
I'm just wondering whether I should take my duvet to work. :cry:

#44 Penbwlch

King of Penbwlch

• Moderators
  • 67615 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:37 PM

No, it could be anywhere in the UK at any time as a trough passes through. Storms of this nature are very unpredictable and may even just vanish at the last moment so you may yet escape. Just keep your eyes on the Met office website and watch the sky if you think you may be in the firing line.

Posted Image

#45 Scoop

Resident Lilliputian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:58 PM

Fingers crossed the big horrible thunder storms stay away...

#46 croberon

Resident Spider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16262 posts
  • LocationThe Web at the Sanctuary Monastery w/ the lings

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:59 PM

Gosh, I never worry about storms unless I'm outside, which isn't usual. As long as the computer if off and unplugged, I'm happy. The puss doesn't like storms, but after the last two months of constant T-storms, he doesn't hide in the closet anymore.
Friendly forum spidey
Wealth and fame
She's ignored
Action is her reward

cosmophasis umbratica fluoresce

#47 Scoop

Resident Lilliputian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:16 AM

View Postcroberon, on 03 October 2011 - 10:59 PM, said:

Gosh, I never worry about storms unless I'm outside, which isn't usual. As long as the computer if off and unplugged, I'm happy. The puss doesn't like storms, but after the last two months of constant T-storms, he doesn't hide in the closet anymore.

I'm just a wuss and I know it Croby.
Ridiculously I'm petrified of the thunder. Not the lightening. Not the aspect of a storm that can actually cause damage/harm etc. No madam here is scared of the harmless noise. :cry:

I can trace the reason for my phobia and you would think that because I know what caused it I can deal with it. But no!
The one thing I'm really mindful of now is not to pass my phobia onto the Sprog.
Both my cats freak out when there's a storm though - so at least I'm not alone!

#48 Penbwlch

King of Penbwlch

• Moderators
  • 67615 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:31 AM

One line of thought is that animals often freak out because the air becomes highly electrically charged and that this causes them discomfort in their fur/hair.

Posted Image

#49 M&MBM

Author of Death in Spigg's Wood

• Moderators
  • 67514 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:37 AM

I used to be fontphobic as a child, but when we moved house, away from the huge silver birch which I'd been terrified would be struck, it was OK, especially as there were pylons to draw the energy away.

My kids were scared so one thunderstorm, I said, "let's watch this beautiful storm," and we stood and cheered with every flash and rumble. I was wiping up at the time, holding a lasagne dish, when a huge flash and simultaneous cataclysmic rumble shook the house, shook the bowl in my hand. nearly dropped it i jumped so much. Minispawn, IIRC ran and hid. Spawen needed a hug. (But then, so did I). We think the church's lightning conductor had been struck, but that's half a mile away, and the flash and crash happened simultaneously, not 2 or 3 seconds apart.

MMinspawn is still scared and so is her BF.

She was having a filling a few months back when there were ominous rumbles. Normally this is the signal for her to come running for a cuddle (she's 18!) but of course, she was stuck with the dentist drilling, so coulds't even flinch. The was a huge flash. 15 seconds or so came a rubmble. When we got home we sound the internet down, the phones blown, the terrestrial areal blown and a rather miffed mr M. Luckily he'd been the first to report the problem so BT fixed us first. People were standing in the street bewailing the loss of the internet. Aparently the house at the end of the street,. opposite side had been struck and the charge had bounced from TV aerial to TV aerial all reound the close. Their socket had exploded..

Er... this isn't helping, is it, scoop?.
MOP, Joker & reformed character. Honest. Posted ImageI moderate with purple prose

#50 Scoop

Resident Lilliputian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:45 AM

View PostM&MBM, on 04 October 2011 - 06:37 AM, said:

I used to be fontphobic as a child, but when we moved house, away from the huge silver birch which I'd been terrified would be struck, it was OK, especially as there were pylons to draw the energy away.

My kids were scared so one thunderstorm, I said, "let's watch this beautiful storm," and we stood and cheered with every flash and rumble. I was wiping up at the time, holding a lasagne dish, when a huge flash and simultaneous cataclysmic rumble shook the house, shook the bowl in my hand. nearly dropped it i jumped so much. Minispawn, IIRC ran and hid. Spawen needed a hug. (But then, so did I). We think the church's lightning conductor had been struck, but that's half a mile away, and the flash and crash happened simultaneously, not 2 or 3 seconds apart.

MMinspawn is still scared and so is her BF.

She was having a filling a few months back when there were ominous rumbles. Normally this is the signal for her to come running for a cuddle (she's 18!) but of course, she was stuck with the dentist drilling, so coulds't even flinch. The was a huge flash. 15 seconds or so came a rubmble. When we got home we sound the internet down, the phones blown, the terrestrial areal blown and a rather miffed mr M. Luckily he'd been the first to report the problem so BT fixed us first. People were standing in the street bewailing the loss of the internet. Aparently the house at the end of the street,. opposite side had been struck and the charge had bounced from TV aerial to TV aerial all reound the close. Their socket had exploded..

Er... this isn't helping, is it, scoop?.

No!
My phobia goes back to an incident when I was four. I was staying with my grandparents and there was a severe storm. The house was struck by lightening and the chimney fell down. The noise was horrendous.
I remember it vividly - including my parents struggling to bring my baby brother's cot down the stairs.

#51 Penbwlch

King of Penbwlch

• Moderators
  • 67615 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:54 AM

I like thunderstorms as it brings me work. ;)

Posted Image

#52 croberon

Resident Spider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16262 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:14 AM

I think most of us suffer from at least one irrational fear. Mine is worms.
Friendly forum spidey
Wealth and fame
She's ignored
Action is her reward

#53 Bouncer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2313 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:32 PM

I've got some spare dog worming tablets for you Croby. I'll send them over.
Retired and loving almost every minute of it.

#54 croberon

Resident Spider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16262 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:16 PM

I don't have worms; I'm afraid of worms.
Friendly forum spidey
Wealth and fame
She's ignored
Action is her reward

#55 Bouncer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2313 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:16 PM

I'd be afraid of any worms I had.
Retired and loving almost every minute of it.

#56 Penbwlch

King of Penbwlch

• Moderators
  • 67615 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:51 AM

View PostScoop, on 03 October 2011 - 09:58 PM, said:

Fingers crossed the big horrible thunder storms stay away...

Did they?

It seems that the thunderstorms were confined to Manchester and the north west generally, although a few may have crept across to the Chester area.

Posted Image

#57 Scoop

Resident Lilliputian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:31 AM

View PostPenbwlch, on 07 October 2011 - 05:51 AM, said:

Did they?

It seems that the thunderstorms were confined to Manchester and the north west generally, although a few may have crept across to the Chester area.

Yes they did - hurrah! :D

#58 croberon

Resident Spider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16262 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:27 AM

http://www.washingto...M6HGM_blog.html
Friendly forum spidey
Wealth and fame
She's ignored
Action is her reward

#59 croberon

Resident Spider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16262 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:02 PM

It's looking and feeling very much like snow tomorrow with accumulation. Weather people here are chuffed because the Europeans predicted it first. :roflroll2: I wasn't planning on sorting through the lings winter things this soon. But they are terribly excited.
Friendly forum spidey
Wealth and fame
She's ignored
Action is her reward

#60 Penbwlch

King of Penbwlch

• Moderators
  • 67615 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:51 AM

View Postcroberon, on 28 October 2011 - 10:02 PM, said:

It's looking and feeling very much like snow tomorrow with accumulation. Weather people here are chuffed because the Europeans predicted it first. :roflroll2: I wasn't planning on sorting through the lings winter things this soon. But they are terribly excited.

Croby, beware of people who predict extreme weather conditions "first". In the UK (at least) there are people who predict, during the summer, early snow and predict, during the winter, heatwaves and drought in the coming summer.

These are pure cynical guesses, hoping everyone will forget when their forecast proves very wrong. If, by chance, they get it right, they jump up and down saying "I predicted it first" and offering future "forecasts" for a lot of money.

The papers don't care as they are only trying to make money and a good scare story will sell papers.

Oh, by the way, I use the GFS (American weather models, for other readers) weather models as they produce consistently reliable figures and freely release them. That is why most amateur meteorologists use GFS.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users