1296 replies to this topic

#1 croberon

Resident Spider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16262 posts
  • LocationThe Web at the Sanctuary Monastery w/ the lings

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:26 AM

The lings and I are safely lodged in rooms at the pub. We had a nice welcome home do thrown by the village spiders, who remembering how much the lings love gobstoppers, gave the lings each a small string bag full.

We went to the Manner House. It was sad to see the dust covers on everything. We learned in the village that spidey travellers were squatting in the wine cellar. The village spideys have heard reports of bottles broken and racks smashed.Shocked

The lings are anxious to see the former residents. Here is the first part of their diary:

We were excited to leave the Manner House and begin our adventure. Then mum told us the Manner House closed and we cried, especially the baby lings. The Manner House was the only home they’d ever known. The Abbot came that night and said it was perfectly all right for us to experience our sadness. He talks like that a lot.

Everyone at the Monastery welcomed us. We don’t think they knew what to expect: Mum and 4,000 lings. We have three rooms and a salon in our wing of the monastery. Each wing eats together during the week except for Saturday nights. We’re in the wing closest to the school. There was quite a lot of amazement at our accents. We hadn’t been on the conference call with mum when she made the arrangements after our application was accepted. The first few days we were asked to say things a lot, until Baby Daniel broke down in tears saying he didn’t want to talk anymore. One lady at the market discovering we were British spiders wanted to know if we were an invasive species. The town mayor always says cheerio to us.

Our days are different here. We get up at seven. Put our webs away. Have a shower. Get our school webs and march to the mediation hall. We sit for an hour. Then we go back for breakfast and then it’s off to school at 9:30. School ends at 3:00 and we go to our study places to do our homework. Now that we have our violins, we do 30 minutes of instrument practice at study. We go home at 5:00 and usually play from 5:15 to 6:30. We used to play outside but now it’s cold and dark and we have to play inside. After play, we have dinner and then go up to the salon room to talk. Sometimes the crickets drop by (more about the crickets later).At 8:30 we have to make up our webs and get ready for bed at 9:00.

Musical Instruments

After trying out all the instruments available, we lings decided we will play the violin. Mum was relieved, because during the time we tried out the piano, she complained the racket of us running up and down the keys nearly drove her mad.

Friendly forum spidey
Wealth and fame
She's ignored
Action is her reward

cosmophasis umbratica fluoresce

#2 Penbwlch

King of Penbwlch

• Moderators
  • 67615 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:42 AM

Think yourself lucky they didn't choose the drums, Croby. Welcome home, by the way.

I used to be conceited. Now I'm Perfect   Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 croberon

Resident Spider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16262 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:22 PM

I am eternally grateful, Pen. I think the 'lings were mostly interested in the piano for the mischief they could make rather than seriously learning to play. The violin seems to suit them because they can use four arms and pizzicato and bow at the same time.

Monastery Farm and Garden

The monastery has several different gardens. The gardens provide food for everyone living at the monastery and the monastery holds a weekly market on Saturday mornings from March to mid-November to sell produce from the gardens, bread from the ovens, and various items produced by clergy and residents like jewellery, wool seat rugs, and floor mats. Mum’s main job on the web page has been to photograph and put up items that will be for sale on Saturday to increase trade. Our experience in the Manner House gardens working for Auntie M has really paid off. The nuns let us polish the eggplant for sale our first Saturday and all the eggplant was sold. Since then our job is to get up early on Saturday start polishing the produce for sale, have breakfast and finish our polishing by 10:00 when the market opens. It’s not a real market like in England. The monks move the stalls from the storeroom the grass outside the gates near our school. Everything is put on the wooden stalls for sale. Then at 1:00 the stalls are taken down; well they are supposed to be taken down. But sometimes people are still buying.

Mum makes us go down for a rest from 1:00 until 3:00 on Saturday because Saturday night is a big night at the monastery. Everyone eats in the hall. The abbot or one of the monks tells us a story after dinner. Then there’s the clearing and washing up. After that the fun begins. You can choose what you want to do. There are games, dancing and singing. We children are sent to bed first. Mum stays with us after we’re in our webs. She usually reads until she goes to bed.

Halloween

This was so kewl. We were tasked with building a giant web decoration across the front gate. Took all our playtime for three days and mum put the finishing touches on it the night before. Then it rained on Halloween. L The other decorations drooped but our web held up.

The Abbot

The Abbot is very cool. He scolded mum for shouting at us after we first arrived because we were running up and down the walls, arches and pillars. He told mum we were just exploring and wanting to be noticed because we were new. He said that she wasn’t to shout anymore. That we would soon give up the behaviour when we realized that everyone thought it was normal. The abbot was right. Even when the baby lings went sailing through the hall and ten of them landed one brother’s bowl of soup, he didn’t scold or shout. He just helped them out and made them dry off on a napkin. It really isn’t any fun getting into trouble when you don’t get into trouble. So now we’re good and learning that being good isn’t boring after all.

Friendly forum spidey
Wealth and fame
She's ignored
Action is her reward

#4 croberon

Resident Spider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16262 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:27 PM

Last Part of Ling Diary

Learning to Love

Our big shock at school was there are crickets in our class. The first day we thought they were there for our dinner, but we were served tofu insects in webs and told the crickets were our classmates. We did wonder why our teacher kept calling on them when they wiggled their antennae. It’s taken a few weeks, but we’ve all become mates. Even mum’s become accustomed to the racket they make when we’re playing. We didn’t believe the Abbot when he said we would come to love our cricket friends, but we have and now we never think of eating them. Although when eight of them went for a swim in the chocolate fountain at the Harvest Fest…

The Harvest Fest

The Harvest Fest is held by the town and the monastery sold vegetables and some of the brothers held a wine making class. The crickets were on the musical stage. They did a couple of numbers and then the cicadas joined them to form a mass choir for the final song. We’d only just received our violins and couldn’t be put on the musical stage. The Abbot suggested that we do a ballooning demo in the field as it was something unique to spideys. The baby lings had kept up their practice of synchronized ballooning manoeuvres they learned from Mrs. D-F and were the hit of the day. They were written up in the newspapers and shown on the news. One of the nuns is helping them to learn to form up as angels and float. This for the Holiday Program when the church choir sings Angels We Have Heard on High the baby lings will form up and float as a backdrop wearing gossamer suits.

The baby lings are really growing and all the practicing is making them strong. They aren’t good yet at sitting still during our mediation hour, so mum has a web she puts over them to keep them from ballooning off.

School

We do experiments! Yeah, we still do reading, writing and maths. But we love science. You get to see the insides of things. The best was looking at each other under microscopes. We looked at the crickets, too. We’ve learned what our silk is made of. We did gravity and magnetic experiments. We looked at plant cells. We’ve been assigned a station in the lab with our own Bunsen burner!

Mum has put away in her case all the venom we collected from our relatives in Durham. We did a biting experiment. Mum bit one of the monks and we watched the reaction. A pimple formed and turned pink. He said it itched. He held a magnifying glass over the spot so we could see where mum’s fangs left holes. We’ve sworn off biting humans.

We’re learning rocks, too. In the spring, we’re going on a field trip to a cave. Mum and the baby lings will come along too. Mum’s going to teach about cave spiders.

We’re on Thanksgiving hols but its not hols in England. Hug Please stop by the pub to see us!

Friendly forum spidey
Wealth and fame
She's ignored
Action is her reward

#5 Maverick22

Maverick22

• Moderators
  • 35725 posts
  • LocationNear 51.20N 2.56W

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:48 AM

A Bunsen Burner could do untold damage to the Lings, fried  Lings on toast sounds great, covered in Bar-B-Q sauce, crispy Lings legs, nearly as good as Whitebait. 
There are certain people in the world who you know will only ever have two certificates in their lives, a Birth and Death Certificate.

#6 croberon

Resident Spider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16262 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:35 AM

A Bunsen Burner could do untold damage to the Lings, fried  Lings on toast sounds great, covered in Bar-B-Q sauce, crispy Lings legs, nearly as good as Whitebait. 

I read the lings this post and they are cooing with glee. Litte Trevor says its proof that you still love them and wants to know if you like Ranch dressing.

Friendly forum spidey
Wealth and fame
She's ignored
Action is her reward

#7 Maverick22

Maverick22

• Moderators
  • 35725 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:54 AM

Is that like Cross Dressing, but at a Ranch, or do I have to dress like a Cowboy.Maverick222009-12-12 11:54:38
There are certain people in the world who you know will only ever have two certificates in their lives, a Birth and Death Certificate.

#8 croberon

Resident Spider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16262 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:23 AM

AngryWho taught the lings I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas?

Friendly forum spidey
Wealth and fame
She's ignored
Action is her reward

#9 Maverick22

Maverick22

• Moderators
  • 35725 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:35 AM

Me me me, I confess.

#10 croberon

Resident Spider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16262 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:11 PM

I suspected as much, but no matter how hard I questioned the lings, they wouldn't tell. Kept giving me some porky about a radio. We don't have radios at the monastery. Then they said it was a radio in a shop. But they haven't been to the shops since Saturday and they started singing the song Tuesday night. I was just getting used to the sound of 3,000 lings  sucking gobstoppers and now this!

Friendly forum spidey
Wealth and fame
She's ignored
Action is her reward

#11 Maverick22

Maverick22

• Moderators
  • 35725 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:26 PM

I was going to buy them 3000 drum kits for Christmas.Big%20smile

#12 croberon

Resident Spider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16262 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:54 PM

Do you really want 3,000 lings turned over to social services on Christmas morning? Think of the headlines.
Friendly forum spidey
Wealth and fame
She's ignored
Action is her reward

#13 Maverick22

Maverick22

• Moderators
  • 35725 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:26 AM

Everyone in Washington could have a leg for Christmas.

#14 croberon

Resident Spider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16262 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:10 PM

LOLLOLLOLCryIf they eat our legs, how are we going to get around?

Takes an Englishman to think of how to make 3k+ spidey's legless

No more eye-high kicks from my daughters in French maid outfits just before bedtime.

The lings have spoken: they want Londoners to eat their legs in Trebevoir Road at midnight on the 31st.

Friendly forum spidey
Wealth and fame
She's ignored
Action is her reward

#15 Penbwlch

King of Penbwlch

• Moderators
  • 67615 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:22 PM

LOLLOLLOLCryIf they eat our legs, how are we going to get around?

Takes an Englishman to think of how to make 3k+ spidey's legless

No more eye-high kicks from my daughters in French maid outfits just before bedtime.

The lings have spoken: they want Londoners to eat their legs in Trebevoir Road at midnight on the 31st.

Where is that?

Posted Image

#16 M&MBM

Author of Death in Spigg's Wood

• Moderators
  • 67514 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:00 PM

There's more than one way to eat a leg, as any decent lover will tell/show you.

Embarrassed

MOP, Joker & reformed character. Honest. Posted ImageI moderate with purple prose

#17 Penbwlch

King of Penbwlch

• Moderators
  • 67615 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:06 PM

Are the Lings old enough to know about that, M?

Posted Image

#18 M&MBM

Author of Death in Spigg's Wood

• Moderators
  • 67514 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:11 PM

I don't know.
MOP, Joker & reformed character. Honest. Posted ImageI moderate with purple prose

#19 Penbwlch

King of Penbwlch

• Moderators
  • 67615 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:15 PM

Oh well, they have to grow up sometime and they might enjoy it.

Posted Image

#20 Maverick22

Maverick22

• Moderators
  • 35725 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:56 PM

They could always have lessons from the Duchess of Pork.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users