• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 canadianloafer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:58 PM

Just a word of warning for those thinking of leaving the UK police service and working overseas with the intention of returning... Here is my story....

I have been a police officer since 1987. I answered an ad for the Royal Cayman Islands Police in 2005 and was successful. I tried to get a career break from the Met but was unable to do so. I ended up resigning on 4/10/05 and starting with the Cayman islands Police (RCIP) on 5/10/05. My contract ends at the end of this year so I applied to come back to the Met rather than stay on in the Cayman Islands (personal reasons). I filled out the re-joiners pack, flew back to the UK, passed my medical, fitness etc. Then I was told...Sorry we can't vet you as you have been out of the country too long. Now this problem may only be specific to the met as they apparantly have the highest vetting standards in UK (I haven't applied tpo anywhere else as yet). I tried to point out that since I left I have been a continuously serving police officer (in a UK territory no less!) and also provided police clearance certs, letter from employer, references etc etc but to no avail! So being a cop in a UK overseas territory for more than 2 years means they cant trust you to do a job you've been doing for 18 years prior to leaving UK!!!  And here is the kick in the teeth... a uk colleague of mine in the RCIP (from another force) was over here on a career break. He walked straight back into his old job..  So they can vet you if you are on a career break but not if you have resigned...  The difference as to why he could be vetted and not me?? They couldn't answer that!!!  So if you ARE thinking of going abroad to try something different (not neccessarily policing) be warned and check the rules with your force before you leave!  Peace.

#2 M&MBM

Author of Death in Spigg's Wood

• Moderators
  • 67514 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:35 PM

Welcome to the forum, canadianloafer, and sorry it's with such doleful news.

Because it's a cautionary talle, I'm going to make this thread sticky.

Do please tell us if you are successful elsewhere. Good luck.

MOP, Joker & reformed character. Honest. Posted ImageI moderate with purple prose

#3 Reasonable Man

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1442 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:39 PM

...Now this problem may only be specific to the met as they apparantly have the highest vetting standards in UK...

A. seems odd as I thought BC vetting was BC vetting, and DV was DV wherever the check was made and why would 42 forces require one level of vetting and one a different?
B. what's the point in setting a higher standard of vetting if the vetting dept can't do their job properly anyway? See http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article6644862.ece

I'm a reasonable man but...

#4 canadianloafer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:50 PM

Interesting article....  My understanding ,from the conversations I have had with the Met vetting dept-which incidently is staffed by civilians, (No disrespect to our 'civvie' colleagues but I feel that they failed to understand the issue involved..), is that Met vetting is DV other forces are SC.
There is an appeals system (which I was unsuccessful at). After many phonecalls and finally managing to get hold of a very senior officer I found that there is a way around it in exceptional circumstances and that is if an officer of ACPO rank who is in charge of whichever dept you wish to go back to 'signs off' on you then you can get in. (I'm still negotiating) My whole point being though is that I have a 100% checkable, impeccable background and it is ridiculous that they are not prepared to welcome me back with open arms when the job (certainly the met) has a lack of experienced officers. (God knows they spent enough on me over the years!!). Interestingly enough my local force in Canada want me once my permanant residence has gone through....  Your loss UK Home Office!!

#5 Dazbags

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:02 PM

That’s the most absurd thing I’ve ever heard! I had problems with my vetting too but I can understand, to an extent, why. However the fact that you’ve been a serving policy officer in a UK territory since the day after you left the Met and can’t be vetted is ridiculous. The met can’t vet the majority of its officers to DV standard as the requirement for DV is ten years residency and the met ‘only’ asks for three years, the same as every other police force in Great Britain which means that they all look for CTC clearance. DV is the standard for the Security Service, GCHQ, some SOCA posts and presumably for Counter Terrorist posts in the Police.The important thing about CTC is that you must ‘normally’ have been resident in the UK for three years, normally, but not necessarily. This site http://www.securityc...ity_cleared.asp explains how the different levels of security clearances and vetting work.

Due to the work that I did in the Army I had to be DV but on leaving I moved to the Irish Republic thereby losing vetting status. When I decided to return to the UK and join the police I rang a lot of recruitment teams. I thought I would have more luck with the big forces like the Met or GMP but they wouldn’t entertain me in the slightest. Thames Valley were more useful in that they said they would accept me if I could produce a Certificate of Good Conduct from the Irish Police. The PSNI would accept me because they have an agreement with the Irish police under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement. Ironically I could join the PSNI but I couldn’t transfer to an English force until after three years. Fortunately for me I approached my local force and they said they would consider each case on its own merits and my time abroad would not necessarily count against me. Unfortunately, despite passing the assessment centre recruitment has been put on hold until next year so I’ve applied for the Specials and as I type I’m waiting for the vetting all clear to potentially start next week.

If you still want to return to the UK it might be an idea to contact Thames Valley or one of the other forces near London and see what they say. Even if you didn’t see it as a long-term option you could apply to transfer back to the met after three years.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.
Dazbags2009-07-09 16:13:06
"There is nothing more unaesthetic than a policeman" Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

#6 canadianloafer

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:30 PM

Just an update.....  So far I have been turned down by Merseyside, Cheshire, MoD Police, BTP... all of them having implemented a 3yr residency rule policy for vetting purposes. I have argued, pleaded, appealed to common-sense as I have been a CONTINUALLY serving officer since 1989 and have a 100% checkable background!! All to no avail. I again posed the question as to officers I worked with abroad that were on career breaks and as to why THEY can be vetted but I could not.  The answer?? (and I quote..) "Because thats different." Why is that different I ask. They have been out of the UK doing the same job as me for the same length of time, the only difference is I resigned and they did not. The answer as to why its different..?? "Because it just is."!!!!!?????     I now firmly believe that to become a recruitment manager or policy maker that common-sense must be checked at the door. I have one other force 'considering' me. After that? Well I will give in and put my police career to rest. I still am dumbfounded that with the state of recruiting and policing in the UK that forces will reject an experienced officer on the basis of a policy. Not law. A policy. God I am so MAD!!!!!!        

#7 Voodoo

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:27 PM

Hey Canadianloafer,

Just wondering if you had any success?

I am on a similar situation as to yourself.

#8 ExTVPCan

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:49 AM

Hi Canadianloafer,

I am in exactly same predicament as you, I was a TVP officer for 7 years and the oportunity arose to come live in Canada and Ive been employed with Toronto for last 8 years. I couldnt take a career break as they didnt exist then, so resigned.
Due to Family reasons we are returning to UK, and TVP stated and quoted about being out of Home Office force for over 5 years cant just rejoin!! Its not like I have been a barman or electrician etc, Ive been a serving officer in a Commonwealth country for gods sake!
Met police were advertising at one point for experienced officers, contacted them and a week later on the web site was an addition to the advert about, only serving home office within last 5 years again!!
15 years of experience and still willing to start again if needed, nada, zip. Banging head against a brick wall. I understand there are policy and procedures in place but common sense should prevail for once, spend thousands and thousands training a rookie, who may have no street smarts etc. or re employ a trained copper!!

Still trying and hoping with crossed fingers that a service with an open mind will open a door slightly for me so I can prove my abilities. Wish you all the best Canadian and keep at it, never give up.
ExTVPCan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users